Image Map

Tuesday, February 11

Cloth Diapering: Where do I start?

When we found out we were pregnant with Nora, we did some research and decided that we should give cloth diapering a shot. I knew very little about the whole concept in general. I had only ever changed a disposable diaper and had never even considered it before. Nora is 5 months and we have used cloth diapers for most of the time, except in the beginning when she was too small.
Like the internet really needs another blog post {or more} on cloth diapers, Right? Well, if I used that philosophy for this blog, it wouldn't exist, now would it.

So, with that said, I have decided to put together some posts about cloth diapering and what I have learned. I feel like I have learned so much through the process and am excited to share some of my knowledge.



Why should I even cloth diaper?
As if this picture isn't enough to persuade you to cloth diaper, I will give you a few other reasons.
Financially, cloth diapering is the most responsible "waste management" method. ha! Let's be honest. If you are going to have to pay money to dispose of the "waste" your newest family member produces, why not spend the least amount of money doing it. And spend more money on adorable outfits and toys!
On average, a disposable diaper costs $0.25 each, and the average baby goes through 8 diapers a day. That is $2.00 a day for lets say 730 days (2 years old). Leading you to a total cost of $1,460 dollars to diaper one child through the age of 2. I don't know about you but I can think of many other uses for almost 1,500 dollars.
If you shop smart for cloth diapers, {details later} then you can outfit yourself with 20 cloth diapers for 200 to 300 dollars! That is an upfront cost that is more like an investment if you plan to have multiple kiddos. Think of the savings!
Need I say more?

Cloth diapering is also the most environmentally responsible "waste management" method. I wont expound much here, because I believe it is rather straight forward. If you aren't filling the landfills with pampers and huggies, well then that is doing the environment in which we live a favor.



How do I get started?
The best way to get started is to decide what type of cloth diapers you are going to use. Prefolds, Fitteds, Pockets, and All-in-ones are the different types of diapers in order of least expensive to most expensive. When planning out what type of diapers I would use, I decided to try them all. I truly think they are all good options, and they each have their pros and cons. I like having a diversified set of diapers for different situations. I often use pre-folds and fitteds at home where I have all my supplies, but always use pockets or all-in-ones (AIO) when we go places.

If you are trying to spend the least amount of money possible, Pre-folds are the way to go. They are extremely cost effective and actually perform their duties extremely well. The snappy makes them safe and rather simple. Covers are inexpensive and can be reused multiple times as long as they are clean.

I suggest fitted diapers for newborns because they are extremely soft and absorbent. they also get a good fit for those pesky "blow outs." Not many down sides to these. I used them on Nora while she was a newborn.

Pre-folds are great for many ages. They can be folded extremely effectively to avoid "blow outs" and also come in larger sizes for toddlers. They also are super easy to come clean and take care of. While they are very cost effective they can be more challenging to put on and may make it harder for dads or family members to assist with diaper changes.

I also do think you can really go wrong with AIOs and pocket diapers. They are super absorbent, convenient, a little more "slim" fitting and can also grow with your baby. The biggest down size is the price. If you did not get the opportunity to register for these and receive them as gifts it could be more costly to purchase a large stock of them. {I will share some of my favorite brands and where to buy them for a discount in a later post}

Having a variety gives you some flexibility.

How many will I need?
The final starting out question that I did so much research about: HOW MANY??
Do the math. Newborns can go through 8-15 diapers per day. {Nora tended to be on the 15 side.} You will not want to have to wash on a daily basis. I suggest every other day. So anywhere from 20-30 diapers is a good number {in my opinion, other people with tell you different numbers}.

My stash looks like this:
Fitted Diapers: 5
Prefolds: 15
Pocket Diapers: 16
AIOs: 2

So there are some basics to get you started. Come back for more on my thoughts and advice on cloth diapers or just the cute pictures. I am fine with that :)

Links:




2 comments:

  1. I am super excited to follow this series and hear more of your experience from cloth diapering! We're going cloth and there is just so much information it can be super overwhelming. But I appreciate personal stories, experiences, and reviews - so I'm excited for what you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited for you!! You will like cloth diapering. I was so overwhelmed when I was starting to research. I hope maybe I can help you out a little. It's easier than all the information out there can make it seem. Ask me anything!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! I love your comments, each of them make my day! So Comment Away!
~Clara