Image Map

Thursday, April 18

The Comparison Game


I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has ever looked at someone else's instagram photos, status updates, tweets, or blog posts and thought:

Their life is so perfect
I bet they never argue
She goes to bed and wakes up with perfect hair
I bet their dogs never go to the bathroom in the house, get fleas, or smell yucky

Ok so I guess you get my point. Social Media has this way of making us feel inferior and imperfect in a so "Perfect" world, right? 

I have had these feelings numerous times, and have gotten off social media in an attempt to realign myself with reality. 

Today, our society has more ways than ever to stay connected to friends, but simultaneously play the comparison game.

It's so easy to post the pictures of our successes rather than accurately portraying succes and failure. 
I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty.
No body wants to IG the picture of the lop-sided, cracked cake they made last night, or their kitchen right after dinner, or a selfie BEFORE you shower.
Am I right or am I right? 

I guess I just want to challenge myself and you to build others up, be real, and STOP comparing your self to the 200 people you follow on instagram, or you 1000 facebook friends.

You are beautiful the way you are. 
You have been blessed with all that GOD has given you.
Don't waste away your current blessings because your wishing you had more, lived in a bigger house, had curlier or straighter hair, more shoes, more purses, fewer weeds, a craftier side...
Whatever it may be.




I read this article last night which got all this going in my mind, and I wanted to share these thoughts with you.
Please read it as well and share it with your friends. 








3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I needed to read it today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I've been doing that a lot lately...but it's having to do with being a mom, "Am I going to be as good as them?" My husband snapped me out of that really quick lol. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! I think our society has gotten to a point where showing off everything is way too important, which has led to all the picture-perfect show-casing. Look at the people who can't even enter a restaurant without posting it on Instagram. Or the people who are having "such an amazing" night with with their boyfriend/husband, they have to stop and write on Facebook about it! People should enjoy life without worrying about a number of comments and "likes" and "hearts".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little blog! I love your comments, each of them make my day! So Comment Away!
~Clara